Aayan’s Story

This is Kawasaki disease in Canada.


This is Aayan’s story, as told by his mother, Antara.

When my son’s fever persisted beyond 48 hours and his neck was stiff with swollen lymph nodes (and he did not respond with Tylenol/Advil), we took him to his family doctor. His doctor gave him antibiotics to treat what ‘appeared to be a really bad case of strep’. When a rash broke out, and the palms of his hands and soles of his feet seemed red and swollen, after 12 hours of administering the antibiotic, we became very concerned that this might be an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. We quickly rushed back to his doctor, since he had also stopped eating and drinking at this point complaining of a raw tongue. The family doctor then referred us to the ER.

After spending the night in the ER, the ER doctor simply administered Benadryl and asked us to go back home and try an oatmeal bath to clear up the rash and to continue giving him liquids with now a new prescription for an antibiotic. Late afternoon on day 4, his fevers remained very high, and he was extremely lethargic when we tried to give him a bath at home to bring down his temperatures. Right then, his nose started gushing blood (which my son has never had before) and at this point was not walking. We called the ambulance, and went back to ER.

After running several tests, and with my son’s health deteriorating quickly, his blood showed high levels of inflammation, but no signs of a bacteria or anything viral. This time, we were blessed to have a different ER doctor, along with an ER pediatrician (now on Day 5).

They identified high fever for 5 days, plus swollen lymph nodes, red bloodshot eyes, cracked lips with strawberry tongue, mysterious rash with swollen hands and feet (which was now starting to fade) and officially diagnosed him with Kawasaki disease. With text book/classic symptoms of the disease, they rushed him to do an echocardiogram of his heart and to take a look at his coronary arteries. In the meantime, we were asked to sign the paperwork to start his Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG) treatment.

They began treatment within 2 hours, and by day 6 he received the required dose of IVIG. By days 7 & 8, temperatures were down and back to normal, and they confirmed the treatment was successful. We began Aspirin and Prevacid at the hospital and continued at home for 8 weeks. My son’s cardiologist continues to perform follow up echocardiograms and EKGs with results showing normal.

We are extremely blessed that the KD diagnosis was finally made and that the treatment was administered within the required 10 day window of opportunity. We are also grateful to his cardiologist and pediatrician that continue to follow up.